Friday, October 15, 2010

From Scratch






A few months ago I was fascinated with making things from scratch. I patted myself on the back when I made my own bread, butter, peanut butter and jam. I had visions of Little House on the Prairie and my own Food Network show.
It’s funny how it was a novelty to make my own bread, but here in Paraguay we really don’t have an option. Every morning I’m surprised by how much time we spend in the kitchen making three meals from scratch. There is always something else to make. I’m learning a lot of things actually can be made in your very own kitchen. For example, I made Marshmallows today; the kids love them but I can’t say that it’s an experience I want to repeat. It was a lot of work to make something that just tastes like a pile of sugar anyway. We made croissant rolls and a cheese Danish today too. Pete said he’ll never eat Pillsbury again. My response was “don’t hold your breath.”
In addition, to making almost everything from scratch Amy also pasteurizes her own milk, hangs her clothes out to dry, chases cows out of the yard, feeds two hamsters, two guinea pigs, one dog, one cat, a flock of ducks, a chicken named “Birdie” and occasionally the stray pig. It’s never a boring day around here. Today alone, we caught a frog, smoked a pig (or part of one), cleaned the flood in the kitchen (the drain pipe just fell off), got to see the girl who’s finger Jeff sewed back together a few days ago, and of course watched Finding Nemo for the thousandth time (Ben’s obsessed…he wants to name the new baby Nemo Elephant Goosey Goosey).
Here’s a list of some of the things we’ve made while I’ve been here and a few Amy has made before. I’ve included one of my favorite recipes below. You should make it; the cinnamon rolls are delicious. Let me know what you think. I will be happy to post any other recipes you want to try.

Cinnamon Sugar Biscuits Makes 7
2 cups Flour
3 Tbs sugar
4 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
2/3 c milk
½ c shortening

1. Mix all the together, knead, roll out flat
2. Fill with: 3 tbs butter, 3 tbs sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon
3. Roll up, slice it and put them in muffin tins to bake
4. Cook at 350 for 11 minutes


Marshmallows
Refried Beans
Cheese Danish
Lemon Curd
Bread
Cinnamon Rolls
Cake
Pancakes
Brownies
Croisants
Pizza
Rice Pudding
Yogurt
Maple Syrup
Granola
Popcorn
Three Musketeer Bars
Reese Pieces
Poptarts (they didn’t taste very good)
Pumpkin Puree
Ice cream and Magic Hardshell
Whip Cream
Onion Rings
French Fries
Tortilla strips
Spaghetti Sauce
Bread Sticks
Lemonade (with the lemons from the yard)
Krispy Kreme Donuts
Hostess Cupcakes
Twinkies
Corn Dog
Applesauce
Corn Bread

No comments:

Post a Comment